| Al Gore
| Character Information
When the Simpson family went to Books! Books! And Additional Books!, Lisa bought two books: a biography of Peter Ueberroth and Al Gore's new book, Sane Planning, Sensible Tomorrow. She said she hoped that Gore's new book was as exciting as his previous one, Rational Thinking, Reasonable Future.
When the bookstore clerk scanned Sane Planning, Sensible Tomorrow at the cash register, a signal traveled to The Pentagon and Gore was notified that someone had finally bought a copy of it. When he got the news, he said, "Well, this calls for a celebration." Gore then put on an LP record and played the song "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang. When the song got to the lyric, "Celebrate good times", Gore even-tonedly said, "I will."
Homer once refused to pay the heating bill because he believed that global warming would fix it, and when it was still cold in the house he yelled at Al Gore. When Lisa was working as Krusty's assistant, he had her edit his joke file, changing every Sophia Loren reference to Lindsay Lohan. Lisa asked if it was a global change, and Krusty sarcastically replied, "Who am I, Al Gore? Just do it."
In a dream Homer had, he met Lara Croft. They talked a while before a giant Al Gore took care of him. Croft told him that he is master of his own fate. Al Gore asked Homer if he knew that the carbon-emitting choice of cars is dooming the planet and it's because of him and his wasteful ways, and that they only have five more years before they fry in a global inferno. He then ate Homer, and when he got into Gore's mouth he woke up.
Behind the Laughter
- Al Gore served as Vice-President of the United States for two terms (1993-2001), under President Bill Clinton.
- The fictional books Rational Thinking, Reasonable Future and Sane Planning, Sensible Tomorrow are tongue-in-cheek references to Gore's real-life 1992 book, Earth in the Balance.
- In popular culture, Gore had a reputation for being bland and emotionless, as depicted when he puts on the music.
- Al Gore was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 (shared with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change).
- Krusty's and Homer's comments about Al Gore are references to Gore's environmental activism.
Nobel Prize winners and nominees
|Nobel Prize in Chemistry|
|Nominees: B. L. Feringa • W. E. Moerner • Kenkichi Sonogashira • Richard Zare|
|Nobel Prize in Economics|
| Winner: Jagdish Bhagwati|
Nominees: Avinash Dixit • Elhanan Helpman • Bengt R. Holmström
|Nobel Prize in Literature|
| Winner: Saul Bellow|
Nominees: Assia Djebar • Umberto Eco • Ian McEwan • Amos Oz
|Nobel Peace Prize|
|Al Gore • Muhammad Yunus • Martin Luther King, Jr. • Gandhi • Desmond Tutu|
|Nobel Prize for Physics|
|Nominees: Lena Hau • Steve Harris • Vers Rubin • Oliver Williamson|