Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
"Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo"
- The episode title is a pun on the 1944 film Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, which was based on the true story of the Doolittle Raid.
- Whilst in the hotel, Bart watches an anime cartoon called Battling Seizure Robots, which features a robot with its eyes flashing so quickly that it triggers seizures in Bart, and subsequently the rest of the family (except initially Homer). This is based on a Pokémon episode, "Computer Soldier Porygon", in which a scene with rapid lighting flashes sent nearly 700 children into seizures. The shot of the robot with its flashing eyes is reused throughout the entire closing credit sequence.
- In the restaurant, when Homer says "I once knew a man from Nantucket" it is a reference to the famous ribald limerick that begins with the same line.
- While Japanese game shows are not nearly as sadistic as portrayed in this episode, they have been known for having contestants participate in off-the-wall events, such as men testing their strength by squeezing oranges with their bare hands and seeing how much juice they can squeeze into a cup.
- When Barney is caught impersonating Homer, he tries to cover by quickly saying some of Homer's catchphrases. In the process, he says, "That boy ain't right," a common saying of Hank Hill on King of the Hill.
- Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Gamera appear at the end.
- An item named "Skittlebrau" can been seen in the 33¢ store. The item was made up by Homer in "Bart Star", however Apu claimed there was no such thing.
- When Marge says to Homer on the plane that he liked Rashomon, Homer claims he doesn't remember it that way.
- The soundbyte of Homer's shock at investing in Fox's News Corp (*Screams* UNDO!! UNDO!! Ohh...) is replayed over the 20th Century Fox Television logo in place of the usual fanfare.
- Text on the picture behind the toilet in the hotel is モスラ.
- When Database is at The Java Server, he is using a gray computer but in the next scene he is using a orange computer, then he is using a gray computer again.
- Marge drops one of her shoes into the volcano but in the next scene when the entire family plummets down, her shoe is back on.
- Bart's mouth does not move right to his saying of "These prices suck. 10,000 Yen for coleslaw?"
- When we see the international flights, one of the cities is Honolulu. Honolulu is the capital of Hawaii, a USA state - it should be a domestic flight, not an international flight.
- Either Rodan or Mothra has Gabara's roar.