The Winter of Our Monetized Content/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
"The Winter of Our Monetized Content"
- The title of the episode is a reference to John Steinbeck's final novel, published in 1961, The Winter of Our Discontent and websites' monetization of contents, mostly Youtube's.
- Anger Watkins talks about who is better, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan. It's a reference to the entr'acte between Kobe Bryant, Cara Delevigne and James Corden at the March 28, 2019 episode of The Late Late Show with James Corden.
- During the food fight, and the end credits, "Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner plays.
- Lisa's "Making a Misbehaver" segment is a parody of the documentary series Making a Murderer.
- In Walkoff Homer, Homer mentions Muhammad Ali, saying he never fought Cassius Clay. Ali's real name is Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr.
- During the scene where Homer and Bart's video goes viral, "Something to Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt plays.
- Bart and Homer dances like the "Backpack Kid" did on Saturday Night Live, with a superimposed text saying "Don't sue us, Backpack Kid." too.
- Homer mentions the Denver Broncos.
- Warburton Parker shows Homer and Bart the Monkey Smells Finger and Falls Out of Tree video.
- Warburton Parker says that he could have gotten the finger sniff monkey a spot on Weekend Update, a segment of Saturday Night Live, hosted by Rami Malek, with musical guest Pitball.
- Warburton Parker says that in the next five minutes, Homer and Bart would get more views than the reboot of Murphy Brown. He also said that it wasn't the same without Eldin Bernecky, a character on the show that wasn't in the reboot.
- The scene where Lisa starts detention is a parody of The Breakfast Club.
- Lisa reads an issue of Granta. The issue is about new fiction by Thomas Pynchon.
- In the H.O.L.E., Nelson finds old Goosebumps books:
- An ad for "Homer buys a boat" appears, saying it'll air on November 3rd 8/7 central, a possible day for an episode of the show.
- Homer imagines Mount Rushmore but with Ronald McDonald of McDonald's, Colonel Sanders of KFC, the Burger King of Burger King and Jack Box of Jack in the Box.
- Parker says that Homer and Bart have become more beloved than Marathon diarrhea guy, referring to Mikael Ekvall that had that problem during a half-marathon, and the dog on washing machine, referring to the Instagram video of a dog Coco inside a washing machine.
- Ralph's plate, IJBDQI, may be a reference to the International Journal of Behavioral Development, IJBD.
- Comic Book Guy mentions the Star Wars movies and hating every one of them after the second.
- Comic Book Guy mentions to Kumiko they are going to cosplay as Sailor Moon and the Moon. They later appear in these costumes.
- Whilst the teachers are making license plates, "Working in the Coal Mine" by Lee Dorsey plays.
- Warburton Parker calls Homer and Bart "deader than MySpace".
- When Warburton Parker says that there's one thing show business loves, Bart responded with Betty White.
- Homer and Bart's comeback is Mortal Kombat Live Online, hosted by Netflix.
- The episode was dedicated in memory of J. Michael Mendel, who died on September 23, 6 days before the episode aired.