Carl Carlson Rides Again/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
"Carl Carlson Rides Again"
- The episode title is a reference to the 1939 serial The Lone Ranger Rides Again.
- Food seen on the Meal Train schedule includes:
- Helen Lovejoy uses InstaGram.
- Carl owns some Crocs.
- Lane Janes are a parody of Mary Jane shoes.
- The song "Beyond" by Leon Bridges plays several times in the episode.
- Naima's nephew has a 14 minute version of the SoulHouse song on his SoundCloud.
- Naima has a business degree from Howard University.
- Naima is in a Salt-N-Pepa cover band called Pepa-N-Pepa.
- When Carl is worried about Naima thinking that he isn't "Pepa" enough, Homer thinks he's referring to Peppa Pig.
- Black bald celebrities seen on the wall in the Hair-Do the Right Thing Barber Shop include: Charles Barkley, George Foreman, Michael Jordan, Steve Harvey, Ving Rhames, Samuel L. Jackson, Terry Crews, Al Roker, and The Rock.
- Carl gets a Denzel Washington haircut.
- The sign on the door of Second Hand Bros Clothing says that they're no longer accepting Cosby sweaters. Dr. Hibbert, who was based on Bill Cosby, walks away from the store when he sees the sign.
- When Naima mentions the Black Panthers, Carl does the "Wakanda Forever" salute from Black Panther, thinking she meant the Marvel film. Naima then says that she meant Huey P. Newton, who was on Carl's shirt. Newton was the co-founder of the Black Panther Party.
- Carl put on Michael Jordan cologne and Michael B. Jordan aftershave.
- Diana Ross Dress for Less is a reference to Diana Ross.
- Spike Lee's Joints is a reference to Spike Lee's movies, which are usually referred to as a "Spike Lee Joint".
- I Have a Dream Mattresses is a reference to the "I Have a Dream" speech by Martin Luther King.
- James Baldwin's Fire Pits Next Time is a reference to James Baldwin and his book The Fire Next Time.
- Malcolm XXX Adult Toys is a reference to Malcolm X.
- Homer mentions the song "Toot, Toot, Tootsie (Goo' Bye!)" and says that he couldn't sing it at public domain karaoke night without Carl.
- "But I love Eddie Murphy" was something that the book Caucasian Brittleness said that you shouldn't say to a black person. Lenny Tweeted it at Carl.
- Carl goes on Finding Your Roots starring Henry Louis Gates Jr. on PBS.
- Dr. Gates said that he once had to pull Laurence Fishburne out of a jet cockpit.
- When Carl is riding the bull, "Black Cowboy" by Eek-A-Mouse plays.
- Carl tells Naima that the Lone Ranger was based on Lawman Bass Reeves.
- "I'm Just Me" by Charley Pride plays at the end of the episode.
- Lisa doesn't appear on this episode. This makes it the first episode to not feature Lisa. Her voice actress Yeardley Smith is still credited.
- Maggie also doesn't appear on this episode.
- As of this episode, Homer and Marge are the only characters to appear in every episode of the series.