Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- This episode is a parody of Mary Poppins, particularly the 1964 musical film. It shares a similar storyline, parody musical numbers, and Shary Bobbins' name itself is wordplay on Mary's.
- The initials of the Krusty Komedy Klassic is "KKK", which Krusty points out and says that it's not good. This is a reference to the white supremacist hate group Ku Klux Klan.
- Krusty's Komedy Klassic parodies Mad About You in a sketch called "Mad About Shoe".
- Gerald Ford talks about the Boy Scouts of America.
- During the sequence where Marge starts losing her hair, "Hair" from the musical Hair plays. The Cowsills performed the version in the episode.
- Homer played Ambrose Burnside and Apu played Stonewall Jackson in the Civil War Recreational Society.
- One of the potential nannies was Mrs. Pennyfeather, Homer reacted to this by saying: "Wait Marge I saw Mrs. Doubtfire; this is a man in drag!"
- When Homer tells Bart and Lisa that they have his undivided attention, the folk song "Turkey in the Straw" plays in his head. The black and white cartoon playing in Homer's head is a reference to Steamboat Willie.
- Shary Bobbins says that she's an original creation like Ricky Rouse and Monald Muck. These are parodies of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
- When Bart asks Shary Bobbins what she would do if she found him reading a Playdude, Shary said that she would make Bart read every article in it including the article about Norman Mailer's waning libido.
- Groundskeeper Willie sings a cover of "Maniac" from Flashdance. At the end of the performance he dumps a bucket of water on himself like the protagonist of the film.
- Bart says that with Shary Bobbins, every day is Guy Fawkes Day.
- When Shary Bobbins was annoyed at Homer, she muttered "Doh-re-mi-fa-so..." under her breath, a reference to The Sound of Music.
- Before They Were Famous shows a segment of The Andy Griffith Show starring Charles Bronson. "The Fishin' Hole", the theme song for the show, then plays at the end of the segment.
- The Itchy & Scratchy Show episode "Reservoir Cats" is a parody of Quentin Tarantino's movie Reservoir Dogs. "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Stealers Wheel plays during the episode, as it does in the movie.
- Itchy and Scratchy then dance in a manner similar to the dance in Pulp Fiction. The song that plays during the dance is "Misirlou" by Dick Dale, the theme song for Pulp Fiction.
- Shary Bobbins and Barney sing "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett.
- Barney calls Shary Bobbins "Superman".
- When Chief Wiggum is shown during the "Cut Every Corner" number, Snake is robbing Hans Moleman in the background, but the former is shown with blue hair.