Bart After Dark/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The name Belle, the owner of the burlesque house Maison Derriere, is a reference to Belle Watling, who owned the house of ill repute in Gone with the Wind.
- When Homer stops the destruction of the burlesque house, Reverend Lovejoy says "This house is a very, very, very fine house", quoting from the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song "Our House".
- The oil spill depicted in this episode is most likely a reference to the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
- Mayor Quimby and the Quimby family, throughout Simpsons history, have been made to resemble John F. Kennedy and the Kennedy family. In this particular episode, Mayor Quimby's wife is seen wearing a dress similar to one of Jackie Kennedy's dresses.
- During the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon:
- A V-chip kicks in, prompting Bart and Lisa to yell "Dad, V-chip, V-chip" at Homer, who then unblocks the show.
- The talk show in which Itchy and Scratchy appear is a parody of tabloid talk shows in general, and most likely of The Jerry Springer Show in particular as Springer's show was the most famous in the genre in the mid-90s when the episode originally aired.
- From the French for "behind," in English "derrière" keeps the same meaning as a genteel term for the buttocks.
- Milhouse's description of what the Mansion was (it belonging to an evil scientist that is trying to create a race of Super Zombies) resembles the Spencer Estate (and similar buildings) in the video game series Resident Evil. The "Evil Scientist" remark was referencing either Ozwell E. Spencer or Albert Wesker.
- In her effort to re-convince the town (again) that the burlesque house is bad, Marge begins singing an off-key parody of "My Favorite Things" - although the bulldozer cuts her off before she can sing the title phrase.
- The musical number instigated by Homer (accompanied by Belle and her backup dancers) convincing the town not to destroy the house is a parody of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.
- This episode contains a hint that Patty is a lesbian, as she is seen exiting the house during the slide show.
- One of the dancers looks like Cookie Kwan, who later would became a recurring character.
- The animal that Rainier Wolfcastle is cleaning off oil is a harp seal pup.
- In the couch gag, Lou and Apu are both colored yellow. Brandine also has white hair instead of orange hair.
- When Bart picks up his plate (which was previously in front of a glass), only the segment of the glass was previously visible is on-screen. The part that was previously covered by the plate is cut off.
- When Belle opens the door of the Burlesque house, her sleeve is first yellow.
- At the Town Hall meeting, Lenny's beard is yellow.
- In another shot at the Town Hall Meeting, Sanjay is wearing a green jacket instead of his usual white one.