A Fish Called Selma/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The title of this episode is a reference to the film A Fish Called Wanda.
- The McClure movie The Muppets Go Medieval parodies The Muppets.
- Marge says that Troy McClure is a perfect gentleman, just like Bing Crosby and J.F.K.
- Troy McClure drives a DeLorean DMC-12, as made famous in the Back to the Future films.
- The name of Troy's agent MacArthur Parker ia a reference to the song "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris.
- Troy lives in the Chemosphere.
- Troy describes Jub-Jub the iguana as "Everywhere You Want to Be" in reference to a Visa commercial.
- The news anchor, voiced by Hank Azaria, is based on Entertainment Tonight host John Tesh.
- The song "Dr. Zaius" in the Planet of the Apes musical Stop the Planet of the Apes I Want to Get Off is to the tune of "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco.
- The title Stop the Planet of the Apes I Want to Get Off is itself a takeoff on the musical Stop the World – I Want to Get Off.
- At the wedding, Homer sings "Rock and Roll Part 2" by Gary Glitter in his head.
- During the wedding, the "Bridal Chorus" by Richard Wagner plays.
- Selma's costumes are modeled on the clothes of Marilyn Monroe.
- Paramount wanted Troy McClure for a buddy comedy starring Rob Lowe and Hugh Grant.
- Buster Keaton had a star on Springfield's Walk of Fame until it was replaced with Troy McClure.
- Troy's proposed fragrance "Smellin' of Troy" is a reference to the mythological woman Helen of Troy.
- Celebrities on the walls of The Pimento Grove include:
- Fat Tony is voiced by Phil Hartman rather than his usual voice actor Joe Mantegna.
- In a deleted scene, Moe has Carl's colors and Apu has Edna Krabappel's.