Lisa the Iconoclast/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The sniper on the roof of the building across from the plaza does take the shot at Lisa, but misses when she moves her head and the shot lands in the floor behind her, just like the sniper shot aimed at Charles de Gaulle at the end of The Day of the Jackal.
- When Hollis Hurlbut brings Lisa the plate of cornbread, he says "Heeeere's jonnycakes!" in the style of Ed McMahon announcing Johnny Carson ("Heeeere's Johnny!") on The Tonight Show.
- The man painting the iconic portrait of George Washington is recognizable as Gilbert Stuart.
- When Betsy Ross shows Washington the flag and says she couldn't get the "red hearts, yellow moons and green clovers" he wanted, it is a reference to Lucky Charms cereal, formerly advertised as having marshmallow pink hearts, yellow moons, and green clovers. Lucky Charms however had orange stars instead of the white ones in the flag.
- "Hollis" and "Hurlbut" are freshman dormitories at Harvard.
- The flag in Miss Hoover's classroom has 25 stars and 15 stripes.
- Ironically, Donald Sutherland played the character "Homer Simpson" in the 1975 film The Day of the Locust.
- The words "cromulent" and "embiggen" were both coined by the writers of this episode. Although completely made up, these words have since taken on a life of their own via the Internet and other media. "Cromulent" has also appeared in the Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English.