Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The title of the episode is a pun on the Mona Lisa as well as an allusion to the title of the season one episode "Moaning Lisa" and also the season nineteen episode "Mona Leaves-a".
- In Grampa Simpson's reminiscence about the Olympics in Nazi Germany, music to the song with the opening lyric "Deutchland Deutchland Uber Alles" is heard.
- The fast-talking publisher who approves of Moe's poetry is a caricature of the Daily Bugle publisher J. Jonah Jameson from Spider-Man. He is voiced by J. K. Simmons, who plays Jameson in the Spider-Man films - the second of which was co-written by Michael Chabon. At the end of the episode, he demands photos (then poems) about Spider-Man. The rhyme scheme he mentions is Petrarchan, an Italian sonnet style dating back to the 13th century. He then uses a quote from Spider-Man 3, "What are you waiting for, Chinese New Year?"
- During the Chabon-Franzen fight, Chabon says, "I think your nose needs some corrections!", which is a reference to Franzen's best-known work The Corrections. Later, Franzen hits Chabon over the head with a Snoopy portrait, to which an angry Chabon responds by saying, "Oh, you fight like Anne Rice!" before tackling him.
- During the high-dive event, a senior's underarm flab turns into wings, and he flies around the arena to the theme music from The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.
- The Wordloaf Literary Conference is a reference to the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, held every year at the Breadloaf campus of Middlebury College. Several Simpsons writers have attended Middlebury, and other references to the show exist, including one in which criminal Snake Jailbird is identified as a Middlebury alumnus.
- Tom Wolfe wears his trademark white suit.
- During the hayride, "Let's Get It Started" by the Black Eyed Peas plays.
- The scene where Homer is tasting maple syrup was cut from the episode, but was later used as a postscript scene during the end credits.
- In this episode, Moe lives in a hotel, but his actual home is a house similar to Nelson's. However, he could have moved.
- Moe's tie has horizontal triangles but in one shot, then disappear, then reappear in the next.