Sideshow Bob Roberts/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
"Sideshow Bob Roberts"
- Much of the episode is based on the Watergate scandal and borrows many elements from the film All the President's Men which focused on the investigation into the incident by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein. These include the meeting with Smithers and the overheard shot of Lisa in the library. Also, Lisa compares herself and Bart to Woodward and Bernstein.
- Bob's aides are parodies of Richard Nixon's advisors during Watergate, H. R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman.
- Quimby's appearance at the debate mimics Nixon's appearance at the 1960 Presidential debate after he had just recovered from a cold.
- Birch Barlow is a parody of conservative talk-show host Rush Limbaugh.
- The title is a reference to the film Bob Roberts, a 1992 film following the eponymous politician, suggesting that success comes from shady deals, hypocrisy and deceit. Bob enters the meeting wrapped in an American flag, a reference to the film's poster.
- Archie, Jughead and Reggie from Archie Comics throw Homer out of their car, while Moose says "Duh, stay out of Riverdale!". It is not known how he met them or what he did to offend them.
- Homer later refers to them again; he is seen reading an Archies comic and comments, "Riverdale punks, think they're too good for me!"
- In court, Bob says, "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!" quoting Jack Nicholson's famous line from the movie A Few Good Men.
- Birch Barlow mentions the cartoon spokesperson Joe Camel.
- The song playing on the radio when Lisa drives the car is St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) by John Parr.
- The fanged, green-skinned member of the Springfield Republican Party is the vampire from the film Nosferatu.
- Sideshow Bob was released by Democratic mayor Joe Quimby after pressure from Republican-inspired protests. In "Black Widower" he claimed he and his prisonmates would be released on the streets once the Democrats were back in power.
- Names seen in the phone book include:
- Gorilla A.
- Getty C.
- Jay Weinstein
- Bert Gaines
- Robert Gordon
- Teil Moss
- Toby Muntz
- Allison Neu
- Cathey Neu
- Jack Neu
- Jeb Neu
- Jennifer Neu
- Ken Neu
- Richard Nash
- Bob Newhall