Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The scene where a federal agent confronts Milhouse at a dam is identical to a scene from the 1993 movie The Fugitive. The agent resembles Tommy Lee Jones' character and uses his signature line "I don't care."
- Marge is seen reading (and fantasizing about) a romance novel titled Love in the Time of Scurvy, which is a pun on Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez.
- Homer's "In America" speech while guarding his sugar pile comes from Scarface.
- Ralph's diorama contest entry is just original Star Wars action figures: his collection includes Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Chewbacca.
- Lisa's hiding of The Tell-Tale Heart diorama under the gym floorboards is a parody of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart".
- The speech patterns of the beekeeper voiced by Hank Azaria are based on Adam West's portrayal of Batman.
- Lisa's nightmare features her playing in a band with famous backup artists: Art Garfunkel, John Oates and Jim Messina.
- Marge says that Homer lost $40 by not going into work that day. Assuming Homer works an average 8-hour shift, that means Homer makes $5 an hour, or not much over minimum wage, which was $4.25 an hour in the USA at the time the episode originally aired.
- Bart reads Bad Boys Life magazine.
- Allison has an autographed picture of Bleeding Gums Murphy in her room.
- Principal Skinner's favorite Star Wars character is Chewbacca.
- Ralph also upstages Lisa and Allison in a contest, and in the same sort of bumbling fashion, in a Ralph's Room comic story.
- Bart also used a fake spider in "Sibling Rivalry".
- Scott Chernoff. "I Bent My Wookiee! Celebrating the Star Wars/Simpsons Connection"Star Wars.com. Retrieved on 2008-04-22.