Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The action sequence at the candy convention is "based on every Bruce Willis movie ever made."
- Homer's imagination of living underwater is a parody of the song "Under the Sea" from the Disney film The Little Mermaid. David Mirkin says he thought the sequence would be funny because Homer would eat all of the characters from the film.
- Among the TV shows parodied during the episode: Hard Copy, The Sally Jessy Raphael Show, The Late Show with David Letterman and media coverage of the O.J. Simpson standoff.
- The news coverage showing Homer knocked out in the bathroom with the shower curtain draped over him, and the voice-over saying he slept in an oxygen tent believing it would enhance his sexual powers, is a reference to widespread tabloid rumors saying that Michael Jackson slept in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber in an attempt to slow the aging process.
- When Rock Bottom does a story on Groundskeeper Willie, the producers dub him "Rowdy Roddy Peeper," a reference to "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, the stage name of a professional wrestler who adopted a Scottish persona in the ring.
- Time Bandits: The episode's couch gag is a reference to the movie's first scene, in which the thieves trying to escape the Supreme Being end up pushing the wall backwards.
- Bart asks if the dog in the Coppertone ads is sexually harassing the girl and Homer says, "That's kind of a gray area." The ads show the dog sneaking up behind the girl, grabbing her swimsuit bottom in its teeth, pulling it down and exposing her buttocks, revealing them to have a lighter skin tone than the rest of her body.
- The real Sally Jessy Raphael tweeted she did not provide the voice of the talk show host, but she was still "very flattered".
- Groundskeeper Willie is shown to still be secretly videotaping people in the comic story The Homer Show.
- In the future (the year 2013 as shown in "Future-Drama"), Homer is living in a house at the bottom of the ocean.
- Immediately after recalling finding the tickets to the candy convention, Homer's beard is colored yellow instead of its usual tan color.
- When Homer says "Okay, don't panic! She can't have gone far! She has no arms!", Maggie's bow is missing.
- The flag that Marge claims to have 49 stars really only has 38.
- Professor Frink has his eyes actually visible behind his glasses, when usually his lenses block them.
Rock Bottom Corrections
After the revelation of Homer's innocence, Rock Bottom broadcasts a list of corrections to various claims the show has made. The list can only be read in freeze-frame or slow motion. Rock Bottom's corrections are as follows:
- "People's Choice Award" is America's greatest honor
- Styrofoam is not made from kittens
- The U.F.O. was a paper plate
- The nerds on the internet are not geeks
- The word "cheese" is not funny in and of itself
- The older Flanders boy is Todd, not Rod (which in actuality is not true)
- Lyndon Johnson did not provide the voice of Yosemite Sam
- If you are reading this you have no life
- Roy Rogers was not buried inside his horse
- The other U.F.O. was an upside-down salad spinner
- Our universities are not "hotbeds" of anything
- Mr. Dershowitz did not literally have four eyes
- Our viewers are not pathetic, sexless food tubes
- Audrey Hepburn never weighed 400 pounds
- The "Cheers" gang is not a real gang
- Salt water does not "chase the thirsties away"
- Licking an electrical outlet will not turn you into a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger
- Cats do not eventually turn into dogs
- Bullets do not bounce off of fat guys
- Recycling does not deplete the ozone
- Everything is 10% fruit juice
- The flesh eating virus does not hide in ice cream
- Janet Reno is evil
- V8 juice is not 1/8 gasoline
- Ted Koppel is a robot
- Women aren't from Venus and men aren't from Mars
- Fleiss does floss
- Quayle is familiar with common bathroom procedures
- Bart is bad to the bone
- Godfry Jones' wife is cheating on him
- The Beatles haven't reunited to enter kick boxing competitions
- The "Bug" on your TV screen can see into your home
- Everyone on TV is better than you
- The people who are writing this have no life