Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
"Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4"
- The name of the episode is a reference to the song "Love Is in the Air" by John Paul Young.
- N2 (Nitrogen), O2 (Oxygen), Ar (Argon), CO2 (Carbon dioxide), Ne (Neon), He (Helium) and CH4(Methane) are the main gases of the earth's atmosphere.
- The wide shot of the couch gag in which the Simpsons are crossing the desert on camels shows Homer in white as Lawrence of Arabia in the eponymous film, with the soundtrack very like Maurice Jarre's of that film.
- Mr. Burns associates Valentine's Day with the Chicago Saint Valentine's Day Massacre.
- Homer has bought day-after-Valentine's-Day candy on sale at a CVS Pharmacy, which he facetiously says stands for "Cheap Valentine's Surplus."
- As he passes out the candy he says "You get a box!" "You get a box!" imitating what Oprah Winfrey says when she gives prizes to her entire studio audience.
- Professor Frink sings "Stardust" by Nat King Cole.
- In Professor Frink's lab in the the Springfield Heights Institute of Technology are found:
- A cabinet labeled "Love Potions" containing flasks numbered 1 to 9, the last being a reference to the song "Love Potion No. 9".
- A copy of Auguste Rodin's statue The Kiss.
- Writing on the blackboard, "Love = Never Having to Say You're Sorry", tagline from the movie Love Story.
- A classic movie poster of The Outlaw, with Homer taking a caliper to Jane Russell's breast, a reference to the furor caused by her ample bosom.
- A wedding photo of Frankenstein and his Bride.
- A drawing in a heart of the 2 children from the comic strip Love Is....
- The radio plays "I'll Never Smile Again" by Frank Sinatra.
- Maggie interprets Dolly Parton.
- Cupid is referenced in the blackboard text and appears shooting hearts but is shot by Cletus.
- M&M's are referenced by the Retirement Castle nurse.
- The Retirement Castle nurse is binge-watching Boardwalk Empire and Marge spoils the ending.
- Downward Doghouse Yoga Studio is a reference to the downward dog asana.
- One of Mona's hallucinations is her as Betty Boop.
- Professor Frink refers to the music of the spheres, Batman and Batman Begins.
- Professor Frink's robot, LadyBot, looks like the robot Ava from Ex Machina.
- Marge mentions the reality television show The Bachelor.
- To Professor Frink's right as he sits in front of the mirror are boxes labeled "Attempts to play God" and "Genetic Oopsies."
- This episode is in memory of David Kavner, Julie Kavner's father.
- During the scene where Marge is concerned about the Retirement Castle residents being depressed, three of the residents sigh. One of the residents has an electrolarynx and uses it. However in an earlier scene, when Old Jewish Man turns the radio on to "Prairie Home Companion", the man who later uses the electrolarynx has a voice.