The Book Job/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The episode title is a reference to the heist films The Italian Job, which was originally made in 1969 and remade in 2003, and The Bank Job, which was made in 2008 as a portrayal of the 1971 Baker Street robbery.
- The episode's plot is a parody of the Ocean's Trilogy.
- Sitting with Dinosaurs is clearly a parody of the stage show Walking with Dinosaurs (though the show was adapted from the BBC documentary of the same name). Featured dinosaurs:
- Milhouse Van Houten is seen holding a Barney the Dinosaur doll.
- Shaun White: Snow Vampire is a reference to the Shaun White Snowboarding game.
- The Bourne Continuation is a reference to the Jason Bourne series of books.
- The books seen on Neil Gaiman's stand are all real books.
- There are several Harry Potter references in the episode:
- The Angelica Button series is seen again, a parody of the Harry Potter series.
- Homer says that Patty has read enough fiction to strangle a Hippogriff.
- Patty speaks in Parseltongue.
- Comic Book Guy is seen dressed up as a Rubeus Hagrid type character.
- The story they came up with about an orphan who went to a magical school is a reference to Harry Potter.
- Homer says that Patty is also fluent in Dothraki.
- The Twilight series was said to have originally been about a girl who fell in love with a golem.
- Prince of Persia: Beverly Hills is a reference to The Prince of Persia and Beverly Hills.
- The Babybiters Club is a parody of The Baby-sitters Club series of books.
- The name of the book Tru Blood is a reference to True Blood, a vampire TV series.
- The dinosaurs smoking backstage at the Sitting with Dinosaurs show is a faithful recreation of a Gary Larson The Far Side comic that had the caption, "The real reason dinosaurs became extinct."
- The game Fruit Shoot could be named after Fruit Shoot, a juice drink in real life. It is also a parody of the game Fruit Ninja.
- Apparently, the trolls in The Troll Twins of Underbridge Academy replace many words with "trolly", a reference to The Smurfs.
- The book Percy Sledge and the Olympians is a parody of Percy Jackson & the Olympians.
- The book Booze Cruise of the Dawn Treader is a parody of the book The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
- There is no opening sequence in this episode, making it the second episode in a row to not have one.
- When The Troll Twins of Underbridge Academy is publishing, "The Troll Twins of Underbridge Academy" is at the top of the first page of Chapter 1, meaning that viewers can tell that it is the Troll Twins book, and not the Vampire Twins book.
- T. R. Francis was depicted in "The Haw-Hawed Couple" as an old lady. In this episode she is middle-aged.
- The people at Sitting with Dinosaurs move places a couple of times.
- During the scenes with The Crew in the TweenLit Inc. headquarters, the times on their watches change frequently.
- When the TweenLit Inc. publisher is talking about the audio book, the shade of white on his coat changes.
- In Moe's Tavern when Neil Gaiman is trying to wake everyone up, the Mapple logo on Moe's laptop is upside-down.
- When Lisa is pacing behind her desk thinking of an idea for her novel, and then comes up with an idea that turns out to be the premise of "The Little Mermaid", she yells in frustration - and her laptop has disappeared from her desk, with the desk now clear. The camera pans out to show that a printer has suddenly appeared on the desk.