This page is a tutorial for using the wiki image-formatting syntax available starting with MediaWiki 1.2 (upgraded in March 2004). The image markup is backwards-compatible, so old instances of images do not need to be upgraded — they already meet the current standards. However, there are a number of additional features available to make the presentation of images in an article cleaner and more attractive.
The basic format for displaying an image inline is still [[File:Wiki.png|Caption text]].
- thumbnail, thumb
- generates an automatically resized thumbnail image, normally on the right, with the caption text displayed directly underneath. An "enlarge"-icon is added. Example: [[File:Wiki.png|thumb|Caption text]]
- The image will have a frame, regardless of whether it is a thumb, and the caption text will be included as a visible caption.
- make the image right-aligned, can be used with and without specifying thumb
- same as above, but left aligned.
- The image will be rendered inline, even if the thumbnail-option is set
- render a thumbnail version of the image that's [size] pixels wide (e.g. "150px"). Height is computed to keep aspect ratio (i.e. the shape of the image).
Vertical bars (the pipe "|" character) are used to separate options from each other and from the caption text. Unknown options are ignored and the final parameter is used as the caption text.
You can also make galleries of images. These are made by using the <gallery> tags.
<gallery> File:Wiki.png|Gallery text File:Homer.png|[[Homer Simpson]] File:Blank.png|Blank image File:No image.png|No image </gallery>
This can be used to make this:
|Archiving • Categories • Copyrights • Edit conflicts • Edit summary • Editing • How to log in/Create an account • Licensing Images • Image markup • Interwiki links • Introduction • Minor edits • Namespaces • New pages • Orphans • Page history • Preferences • Recent changes • Redirects • Related changes • Rename a Page • Searching • Table markup • Talk pages • Using templates • Upload files • User contributions • User style • Watchlist • What links here • Wiki markup|
|Delete a page • Protect a page|