- "[...] Springfield's unending nightmare, the Simpsons."
- ―Mayor Quimby, describing how the Simpsons have affected Springfield.[src]
The Simpson family is one of the main families in Springfield, as well as the protagonist family of The Simpsons. The first known Simpson was Sven. Many families have married in to the Simpson family and the Simpsons have in turn married into many. Through marriages such as this, it is possible to trace a link between one of the state's richest and well-known family, the Burnses.
The first known Simpson was Sven. He married Claretta Elthridge and had two children. One of them, Rupert, married Winifred Running Goat, a Native American-Indian. They had five children, which included Trixie and Garwood. Trixie married Gaylord Stemple and they had three sons. Garwood married Clowta Stillman, and they had four offspring. Howland married Gabby Crouse and then he had five children. They were Lou, Dulcine, Hugo, Gaston and Tut. Lou married Zorina Ovadia and they had three children: Eckhardt, Bob and Twyla. Twyla married Woody Schedeen and had the daughters Fernice and Ingrid, and Eckhardt married Griselda Johnson and had two sons and two daughters named Verna, Vern, Eckhardt II, and Lotus.
Tut Simpson married "Happy" Dinsdale and they had four children, including Orville. Orville married Yuma Hickman. They had Abraham Simpson and his brothers. They moved back to the US and Abraham met Mona. They had Homer, who married Marge Bouvier and had Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. Abe also had an affair with an unknown woman, which resulted in Herb, who was adopted by the Powell family.
Relatives with an unknown or unclear position in the family tree
- 'Sueing' relative
- Boris Simpson – A great-uncle of either Homer or his children.
- Dr. Simpson
- Francine Simpson - Homer's cousin
- Hortense Simpson – Bart or Homer's aunt.
- Hurt leg relative
- Jug band manager
- Millionaire actor
- Virgil Simpson – Alleged and possible ancestor of the Simpsons (Homer's great-great-great grandfather)
- Mabel Simpson - Ancestor of the Simpsons, Homer's great-great-great grandmother. Possibly the same person as Clowta Stillman.
- Hiram Simpson - Mable's ex-husband and Eliza Simpson's father. Possibly the same person as Garwood Simpson. May or may not be related to the Simpsons, depending on Abe's story about Virgil's accuracy.
- Abraham Simpson I – Homer's great-great grandfather and allegedly Virgil and Mabel's son. Possibly the same person as Howland Simpson.
- Bart-Beard the Pirate – Distant ancestor of the Simpsons. May or may not be related to the Simpsons, depending on the accuracy of Abe's story about Virgil.
- Prison snitch relative
- Abigail Simpson
- Fester Simpson – Uncle of either Homer or his children.
- Jessica Simpson – Cousin of either Homer or his children.
- Valerie Togasaki – Cousin of either Homer or his children.
- Cathy – Cousin of either Homer or his children.
- Beggar relative
- Homer Simpson – According to Abe he is Homer Simpson's great-great-great-grandfather.
- Homer – A thief who lived in 1200 B.C. and ancestor of Homer Simpson.
- Hugo Simpson – Bart's twin brother
- Maggie Simpson, Jr. – Maggie's future daughter
- Cyrus Simpson – Grampa's older brother
- Jim Simpson – A boxer
- Zia Simpson – Lisa's future daughter
- Milhouse Van Houten – Lisa's future husband
- Kang – Maggie's "real" father
- Picard Simpson – Bart Simpson's future son
- Kirk Simpson – Bart Simpson's future son